Time: February 6 – 10, 2023
Held at the Institute of Geography & Center for Regional Economic Development in Bern, Switzerland
Organizers: Huiwen Gong (University of Bern & Eawag), Johan Miörner (Eawag & Lund University), Heike Mayer (University of Bern)
We invite you to this Winter School in Advanced Qualitative Methodology and Theorizing in Economic Geography to Bern in Switzerland. The course aims to provide advanced PhD students and Post-doctoral researchers an opportunity to develop their understanding and use of rigorous research with qualitative methods in economic geography and beyond. Participants will be introduced to established and emerging novel qualitative methods in social sciences. During the 5-day training, participants will be able to develop their methodological and theoretical skills and build upon their experiences in empirical field work and data analysis. Leading scholars from economic geography and beyond are confirmed for key lectures.
– understanding of advanced theorizing using classic qualitative methods such as case study designs, interviewing, grounded theory, etc.
– knowledge of novel qualitative methods and related philosophical consierations
– ability to make and justify choices in the design of qualitative research methods
– ability to apply useful techniques to facilitate the entire theorizing process
– insights in reporting, publishing and visualizing rigorous qualitative studies.
Target group: The Winter School is open to post-fieldwork PhD students and Post-doctoral researchers who work with qualitative methods in economic geography. This advanced course requires prior knowledge and experience in qualitative methods. The course involves approx. 168 hours workload.
Venue: University of Bern, Switzerland
Number of participants: approximately 20-25
The deadline for applications: October 1, 2022