History of the Institute
Since the early 19th century Physical Geography was lecturing at the University of Bern. The actual establishment of the institute was carried out in 1886 with the establishment of the first Chair in which was occupied by the Economic and Anthropogeographer Eduard Petri. His successor Eduard Brückner was a significant research personality of that time. With his work on glacial dynamics in the Alpine region, the foundation stone for today active Alpine and mountain research was laid.