Research Projects Paleolimnology Group
Detection of Human and Natural Influences on the Climate System: Regional Insights from the Past Millennium.
- SNF Ambizione Project awarded to Dr. Raphael Neukom (PZ00P2_154802 / 1)
- Duration: May 2015 – December 2018
- Summary SNF Ambizione Project (PDF, 116KB)
IGBP - PAGES LOTRED SA / PAGES 2k
- Long-term climate reconstruction and dynamics of (southern) South America: a collaborative, high-resolution multi-proxy approach
- Duration: 2006 – ongoing
- Web page: http://www.pages-igbp.org/workinggroups/2k-network/intro
Exploring VNIR/SWIR Hyperspectral Imaging of Varved Lake Sediments: Methods and Applications in Paleoclimatology and Paleoecology
- SNF (200021_172586). PI: Martin Grosjean
- Duration: July 2017 – June 2021
- SNF Project summary.pdf (PDF, 61KB)
One Health: Cascading and Micobiome-Dependent Effects on Multitrophic Health
- Uni Bern. PI: Matthias Erb and 12 Co-Pis
- Duration: February 2018 – January 2022
- One Health project website
- ONE HEalth summary.pdf (PDF, 63KB)
Antarctic Circumpolar Expedition: Southern Ocean westerly winds and the global CO2 sink
- Swiss Polar Institute. PI: Dominic Hodgsen, British Antarctic Survey; Co-PI: Martin Grosjean; Krystyna Saunders, ANSTO Sydney.
- Duration: 2017 - ongoing
- ACE Project Description 2016.pdf (PDF, 72KB)
Digging deep into Lake Victoria`s past: 15,000 years of ecosystem dynamics and evolution reconstructed from sediment cores of the world`s largest tropical lake
- Faculty of Science, UniBE. PI: Ole Seehausen; Co-PI: Martin Grosjean, Willy Tinner and Martin Grosjean, Flavio Anselmetti
- Duration: 2018-2019
- Lake Victora project -Summary.pdf (PDF, 61KB)
Cluster Proposal Environmental Pollution: Processes, Spatial Scales and Political Decision making
- Institute of Geography. Moritz Bigalke, Martin Grosjean, Adrien Mestrot, Jean-David Gerber, Doris Wastl-Walter
- Duration: 2017-2022
- Summary http://www.geography.unibe.ch/research/environmental_pollution_cluster/index_eng.html
Climate Variability in the SW Ecuadorian Andes of the Past Two Millennia: a Contribution to IGBP-PAGES 2k.
- SNF Div 2 (200021_152986). PI: Martin Grosjean
- Duration: July 2014 – June 2017
- Summery SNF Ecuador (pdf, 62KB)
CLIMPOL Climate of Northern Poland during the Last 1000 Years: Constraining the Future with the Past
- Polish-Swiss Research Programme PSRP
- Duration: July 2011 -June 2015
- Cooperation: Dr. W. Tylmann, University of Gdansk
- Homepage: www.climpol.ug.edu.pl
MRI (SNSF Div II): Global Change and Mountain Regions: the Mountain Research Initiative Coordination Office
- PL: Prof. R. Weingartner, Co-PI M. Grosjean; H. Bugmann, W. Häberli, J. Ruegg; NF Div II 20FI20_132773
- Duration: October 2010 – September 2013
- Abstract: MRI abstract (PDF, 9KB)
- XRF Core Scanner and Digital Radiography
- PI: F. Anselmetti; Co-PI: M. Grosjean, D. Ariztegui, W. Tinner
- Duration: December 2012 - November 2013
SNSF AMBIZIONE (PZ00P2_136835/1)
- Awarded to Dr. Krystyna M. Saunders
- High Resolution Reconstructions of Climate Variability in the Sub-Antarctic during the Last Two Millenia
- Duration: January 2012 - December 2014.
- Abstract Ambizione_KS (PDF, 10KB)
Calibrating Scanning VIS Reflectance Spectroscopy Data from Minerogenic and Biochemical Varves: Improving Climate Reconstructions from Lake Sediments (SNSF Div II)
- Duration: August 2011 - July 2014
- Abstract Oeschinen (PDF, 32KB)
Marie Curie European Reintegration Grants (ERG FP7, n° 276703)
- Awarded to Dr. Rixt de Jong
- Chilean Lake Sediments as Archives for Climate Variability during the Past 1000 Years (CHILE1000)
- Duration: May 2011 - April 2014
- Abstract Abstract ERG (PDF, 81KB) (pdf, 81KB)
- Awarded to Dr. Rixt de Jong (NF PZ00P2_131797)
- Cold-season Climate Variability in the Chilean Andes during the Past Millennium
- Duration: November 2010 – October 2013
- Abstract Abstract Ambizione_RdJ (PDF, 11KB)
Climate Change and Dynamics of Freshwater Systems in Central and Southern Chile: A Perspective from Lakes
- Chilean Swiss Joint Research Programme No. CJRP-1001
- Duration: August 2010 – July 2012
- Abstract Abstract CJRP_1001 (PDF, 16KB)
Laboratory and Equipment at the Institute of Geography
Coring and Survey Equipment
UWITEC piston corer 60 mm equipped with additional weights for “hammer action”. Freeze cores (up to 3 m long) are taken with Richard Niederreiter UWITEC, long piston cores in collaboration with Mike Sturm / Flavio Anselmetti EAWAG
Technicap PPS 4/3 is sequential sediment trap (12 bottles, 0.05 m^2)
Multisonde Hydrolab DS5X, DS5, and MS5 measuring the water column with sensors pressure/depth, T, O2, electric conductivity, pH, redox potential
Echosounding with GPS Garmin GPSmap 178 Sounder
Core Lab and Sample Preparation
Cores are split using a core cutter.
Freeze dryer Christ Alpha 1-2 LD Subsamles are freeze-dried and dark stored.
Once the cores have been split and sampled, they are stored in the core lab and the cold room.
Specim Single Core Scanner VNIR (400 - 1000 nm) with ENVI software.
Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope (Zeiss EVO 40XVP) and image Analysis software (Scandium Version 5.0 Build 1200 by OLYMPUS SOFT IMAGING SOLUTIONS). Collaboration with GLOOR INSTRUMENTS AG. The SEM is also used for archaeological analysis, e.g. by ArcheoTex.
Magnetic susceptibility. MS 2 measurement device RS 232, MS 2E sensor. The equipment is portable.
A variety of microscopes including petrographic microscopy (Leica Wild M10, Leica DM LP) with digital camera and image analysis.