Courses, Examinations, Deadlines
Overview of courses
All courses will be announced via CTS (Central Teaching System, (www.ksl.unibe.ch) . In addition, you can also find timetables, course discriptions and "course catalogs” which give a quick overview of all events of each semester. Courses of the upcoming semesters are in the list "Leistungseineiten Geographie", an important tool in the planning of your studies (Annex I, plan of studies geography).
The latest and binding data are always published in CTS!
Registration for courses
You need to register in CTS for every course you take. Term of applications for all courses can be found in CTS. Attention: Register for both, the course (CD) and the examination (AD). Only the registration for the course allows you to access to ILIAS. Without registration to the examination (AD), you are not admitted to the test.
Block courses / Excursions
At the GIUB the following weeks are scheduled for exams: week 7, week 23, week 37.
Spring semester 2021
- term of applications starts on January 11th 2021 for all courses (courses with limited attendance 11.1.21 – 24.1.210)
- Lecture period starts on February 22th 2021 and ends on June 4th 2021
Completion of studies per end of spring semester 2021
You do NOT need to enroll again for the administrativ completion if you …
- have completed all academic requirements before the beginning of the new semester (i.e. until Friday, September 17th 2021).
- pass an examination as your last academic requirement (written or oral) at the latest on Friday, September 17th 2021.
- have completed the final version of the BSc thesis according to the last academic requirements (notification of grade and digital version submitted to the directorate of studies) at the latest on Friday, September 17th 2021.
- have submitted the final version of the MSc thesis (incl. assessment) to the Dean’s Office as your last academic requirement, by the latest on Friday, September 17th 2021.
Master presentations can take place on Thursday afternoons during the lecture period, and on the last Thursday before the semester begins (September 16th 2021).
For further information about the completion of studies, please consult the leaflet «Guidance to completion»
Transition bachelor > master spring semester 2021 / fall semester 2021
Individuals who want to start with a consecutive MSc in Geography directly after completing the BSc in Geography can register until mid-October 2021. The conditions are: all BSc grades appear in CTS, the bachelor thesis was completed in time (see above), and the minor were concluded by the respective directorate of studies in CTS. No pre-registration for the master is required.
The matriculation service will inform you about changing course - options "Changing from bachelor to master"
Submission of BSc thesis and MSc theses
According to the rules, supervisors are allowed 1 month time for the assessment of the thesis. Theses should therefore be submitted 1 month prior to the deadline to be assessed. An early consultation with your supervisor is recommended.